Phone : 61370462188 Melbourne : 61481262327 Hobart : 61478367137 Get My Policy Business Accounting
Home - Temporary Graduate 485 (TR)

Temporary Graduate 485 (TR)

Temporary Graduate Visa (SUBCLASS 485)


After completing your studies as an international student in Australia, you've obtained your degree. Throughout your academic career, you've been lured to the country by its varied range of courses, plentiful scholarship chances, and reputation for providing a safe and sophisticated atmosphere. Your love for the 'country of kangaroos' has only grown greater.

As you sit here, immersed in thought about the upcoming expiration of your student visa, a silent aspiration forms within you - the hope for an opportunity to prolong your stay in Australia. And, amazingly, your request has been granted.

Welcome the opportunity to apply for the Temporary Graduate 485 visa, made possible by Pioneer Global. This visa not only permits you to stay in Australia, but it also allows you to get excellent job experience in this lovely country.


The Temporary Graduate Visa is tailored for recent international graduates who have completed a minimum of 2 years of study at an Australian educational institution. This visa option offers a way for international students to extend their stay in Australia after completing their studies. It's important to understand the eligibility criteria before applying for the Temporary Graduate Visa.

One crucial point to note is that applicants are only permitted to hold one temporary visa as the primary applicant. This visa is divided into two distinct streams:

  1. Graduate Work Stream:

    • Valid for 18 months
    • Intended for international students who have:
      • Completed 2 years of study in Australia
      • An occupation listed on the Medium and Long term Strategic Skill List (MLTSSL)
      • Obtained a relevant skill assessment in that occupation
  2. Post-Study Work Stream:

    • Valid for up to 4 years
    • Designed for international students who have:
      • Held an Australian student visa after November 5th, 2011
      • Obtained a Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of the field of study

Benefits of the Temporary Graduate Visa include the ability to include eligible family members in the visa application. This allows both the visa holder and their family members to live, work, study, and travel in and out of Australia for the duration of the visa.

To be eligible for this visa, you need to meet certain criteria:

  • Age must be below 50
  • You must be within Australia when applying for the visa
  • You must satisfy Australian study requirements
  • The visa application must be lodged within 6 months of receiving your results
  • Specific requirements for either the Graduate or Post-Study Work Stream must be met
  • Health insurance coverage for the stay in Australia is mandatory
  • Competent English proficiency is required
  • This visa can only be applied for once in a lifetime

Before applying for the Temporary Graduate Visa, you need to fulfill specific study requirements:

  • Your course(s) must be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)
  • The course must be conducted in English
  • The duration must be at least 92 weeks or 16 calendar months
  • The study must have been undertaken on a valid student visa in Australia
  • The course should not be associated with English language proficiency or enabling programs

For health and character requirements, both you and your dependent family members need to undergo medical examinations to meet health criteria. Meeting character requirements involves applying for an Australian Federal Police check with a validity of 12 months before lodging the visa application.

Health insurance is a must, and it should cover you and your family members for the duration of your stay in Australia. This insurance can be from Australia or your home country. If applying for the Temporary Graduate Visa within Australia, active health insurance is required before applying. If you're still on a student visa, Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) will be accepted, but not if you're no longer on a student visa or granted a bridging visa.

Finally, having no outstanding debts to the Australian Government is a prerequisite for this visa.

You're allowed to include the following family members in your visa application:

  • Your spouse
  • Your or your partner’s child or stepchild

Would you like to speak to our team to discuss your visa options?

I Agree to Pioneer Global Pty Ltd Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
Get Consulting